Bill Marquette wrote:

On 7/14/06, Royce Mitchell III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

ever see any of the packets in question ), would it be advisable to give
each carp interface a dedicated switch, or is it safe for example, to
hook both LAN interfaces to the aforementioned D-Link, which is a
24-port gigabit unmanaged switch which all my servers are plugged into?

Given your setup and the fact that you still have a single point of
failure on the WAN side of your firewall, I'd probably plug both
firewalls into your most reliable switch.  Trying to split them may
end up in some rather goofy network issues anyway in failover
scenarios.

It wasn't intential to set them up so goofily so much as just an experiment that turned into a working setup without reviewing ( until now ) the setup. There's no avoiding a single point of failure on the wan side because there's only one modem, which is why we have the dual-wan setup. While each isp is a single point of failure, the fact that we have two mitigates the single point of failure. The only real single point of failure we have is the central d-link switch.

Anyway I will try getting all carp interfaces on shared switches next week and see what that improves.

Thanks!