On Mar 5, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Dan Farrell wrote:

Possible tangent (apologies)- I haven't tried any BSD variants on the current Dell PowerEdge series, but I have tried Fedora, CentOS, and Suse, and had problems with the built-in NIC on all of them. Are you using this built-in NIC in your bridge? Are you able to have it work alright in pfSense or Monowall at all?

The SC1425's I have use intel NIC's which are extremely well supported (by Intel engineers).

A couple of the SC1425's I have are under pretty hefty load sending and receiving email on both NIC's. Never a problem. I run FreeBSD 6.1 on them.

What are your two additional NICs? Are they broadcom? If so, replace with Intel and your problems might just magically go away.

The SC1425's are otherwise very stable on FreeBSD 6.1 running the amd64 version. I can't imagine the i386 version to be less stable.