From: "Chris Buechler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <support@pfsense.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:48 PM
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Help with backup remote office conection

Diego Morato wrote:
>     Acctualy the frame relay router is the default gateway of the LAN, I´m
> thinking in change this to the pfsense and work with static routes.

I would leave the frame relay router as the default gateway, assuming
it's a Cisco router or something with near-equivalent functionality that
can do what I describe here. What I would do is put in a route with a
higher metric on your router pointing to pfsense. When the frame relay
goes down it'll take down the serial interface which will drop the route
that uses the serial int, and it'll fall back to the route with the
higher metric, which will be your pfsense box. Note you'll have to do
this on the routers on both sides of the frame relay link.

A secondary option possible on Cisco routers would be to setup
monitoring to ping the IP on the other end of the frame PVC. If that
fails, configure it to change the route to pfsense.

There are two options, I'd try the former first. Your routers are
probably a better choice as default gateways because they're in a better
position to be able to detect failure of the frame link.