On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:59:00 -0500, Rob Terhaar wrote
> don't think this is possible, or a good idea ether.
>
> On 4/21/07, Volker Kuhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What options are there for creating rules with a hostname which resolves
> > to a dynamic IP address? I'd like to allow one host access inbound
> > access on a tcp port, but that host doesn't have a static IP. Unless
> > there's a magic mechanism I don't know about, at least part of the rules
> > would have to be reloaded when the host's IP address changes. Doing that
> > wouldn't be a problem, nor would it be a problem if there was a 2h
> > blackout period when the IP changed but the rules weren't reloaded yet.
> >
> > How could this be achieved with pfsense? I'm not averse to a bit of
> > shell scripting if necessary.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Volker
> >
> > --
> > Volker Kuhlmann
> > http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.

Hello!

I asked the same thing some months ago. Developper team (Scott Ullrich) said
is not a good idea to have rules based with name resolution. I agree, it is
very ease to poison/hack name resolution ...

The solution is use OpenVPN. With OpenVPN you can ensure the entity for the
inbound connection. I use it at home to connect my computer (with a dynamic
Internet address) to my job LANs "firewalled" with pfSense.

Last snapshot is necessary to ensure OpenVPN stabillity:

http://snapshots.pfsense.com/FreeBSD6/RELENG_1_2

Regards,

Josep Pujadas