On Apr 21, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Mike Lee wrote:

I recently discovered that when my internet pipe (either upload or download (2Mb-down/1Mb-Up)) is saturated with traffic, the ping time to my remote site pfSense boxes is really high (sometimes 800-1000ms). My office uses pfSense (full) and all of my remote offices are connected via IPSec VPNs and use pfsense (embedded) with WRAP boards. However, when the internet pipe is saturated and the ping times get high to the remote sites, I get average ping times when pining sites that are not on our VPNs (i.e. pinging www.google.com I get ~80-100ms ping times).

what's the CPU load on the WRAP boards when this happens? We have an identical situation: full install at main office, and remote locations (data centers, home offices, etc.) on WRAPs. However, I put the soekris crypto accelerators into the WRAPs and we never see more than about 20ms ping times, even under heavy network loads. Our office system is a P4 with hyperthreading enabled.