Am 11.07.2007 um 20:53 schrieb Bill Marquette:

I know of no official audit of our code.  Nor have I ever seen a post
to bugtraq, full-disclosure, or anything on secunia.  But take that
for what it's worth...nothing.

A code audit of the GUI/back-end would be pretty nice.

But even if the code was audited, only a specific version (at a specific point in time) would have that certification. For such a fast evolving product like pfSense, that would be about as useful as EAL4-certifying a vanilla-linux-kernel.

I think that once you disallow administration from WAN, have a restrictive real-DMZ setup that minimizes direct connections even from the LAN to the firewall (via proxies) and disable DHCP and DNS- forwarding (and most everything else that is useful in small LANs), you should be pretty safe. What's left are vulnerabilities in the FreeBSD-kernel that might lead to DoS-attacks - or worse. These attacks would have to be carried out via pure TCP/IP. It's not impossible (didn't OpenBSD have such a "remote hole" recently?) - but also not very likely to happen very often. The PIX is not much different (OK, in theory only) in this respect - if the FreeBSD core team or Cisco knew of a remote hole in their respective software, they'd fix it (one hopes). It's far more likely that a human misconfiguration occurs than a bug in any of the two systems causes a security-issue.

cheers,
Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner