Volker

re Who else would find a cron script useful which checks the connection
regularly and takes remedial action (e.g. ifconfig down/up) when
necessary?

See my earlier post where I have detailed one and Chris has pointed out to
preserve the cron settings in the xml.

Perhaps you can suggest how to automatically pull through the WAN interface
name, programmatically, to fully automate it for all?

I agree it does seem a bit of a conundrum, the kernel may be to blame, however
the fault also exists in monowall's FreeBSD.

Kind regards
David Hingston.