  From: Tortise
  To: support@pfsense.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] LAN / WAN Disconnections continue in 1.2-RC1,
Intel Pro/1000GT NICs with 370M

  Thanks Vivek

  This hub was placed between the cable modem and the WAN for data capture
purposes only, prior was just a direct patch cable connection, no apparent need
for a switch/hub intermediary as the Motorola seems to accept direct and
crossover cables, at least I have not tried a cross over cable....seemed no
need, as (I assumed) either it will work completely or not at all...at that
level...but any assumption is dangerous I guess...  I also expected a direct
link took away one potential source of problems.

  Since my last post it has now misbehaved, with the hub in place, I have
caught it all into a 1G (!) file, however I need to figure out how to split it
up to inspect now....   At least it won't all load up into wireshark, even with
4G of RAM.... It crashes when the RAM is consumed - at about halfway through
the file!  When I have some more time I'll see if it will load up without the
ARP data.

  I am hoping the times coincide well enough, I know the stop and reboot
times....

  Interestingly it commonly occurs when a remote terminal session is running,
but not always.

  Kind regards
  David Hingston