From: Paul M [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 5:04 AM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Dropped WAN connections

Ron Lemon wrote:
> I have a satellite internet connection, both in and out, attached to a

> pfSense 1.2RC3 box.

long ago when I played with a satellite internet link, it was windows
only, and required some special software on the windows box which
spoofed the 3 way handshake and also ACKs to give the IP stack a false
sense of improved latency. As long as the signal was good so packet loss
was small, it worked OK.

It worked well for FTP and WWW when you didn't care about latency, as
once data was streaming it came down pretty fast. Interactive use - ssh
for example - was almost impossible, and uplink speed was very poor.

my point being that you'll have to mess about a lot with timer settings
to make satellite link work properly without timeouts, whether you can
find some sort of tun/tap driver which will do the spoofing and improve
perceived latency is another matter.