I think the answer lies in the use of uPNP and Manual Outbound NAT http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,6042.0.html

Firewall / NAT / Outbound (Tab)

Here's what my "Firewall: NAT: Outbound" tab looks like

-----------
*Manual Outbound NAT rule generation (Advanced Outbound NAT (AON))*

WAN 10.0.0.71/32 * * * * * YES Wii WAN 10.0.0.0/24 * * * * * NO rest of LAN -----------

10.0.0.71 would be the IP of your Wii

Nintendo has a test that shows whether or not games should work:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/NetworkTest.jsp

With only uPNP set, the test didn't work.
Once I made the change for Manual Outbound NAT, the test worked.

For the test, instead of my Wii's IP, I entered a Windows computer.
Hopefully when I get home and test on the Wii it will work.

--tom

Does anyone have any ideas that don't include having multiple WAN IPs? :) I only have one WAN IP and I'm having the same problem as the original message poster. I can connect fine to World and Regional games but can't connect to or host Friend games.