Gary,

Thanks for the suggestion. My client is a not-for-profit library. They own the hardware. I provide consulting services/labor. So, I believe that their usage is appropriate. I do not sale pre-configured appliances.

Gary Buckmaster wrote:
Vaughn,

You should re-visit the spamhaus terms of service for their Zen service. It is not free for commercial use as you are apparently doing.
Otherwise, thank you for the feedback on the package.
-Gary

Vaughn L. Reid III wrote:
I have been successfully using the spamd package for about 2 weeks at one of my client sites, and it is working wonderfully. It has reduced the amount of spam that the site's email server was receiving from about 15000 per day to about 50 to 75 per day.
I configured the package as follows:

On the external spam data sources page, I have the following 2 items configured:
provider:  spamhaus
type:  blacklist
provider method:  url
url:  zen.spamhaus.org

provider:  uceprotect network
type:  blacklist
provider method:  file
file: http://wget-mirrors.uceprotect.net/rbldnsd-all/dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net.gz

On the white list tab, I have the client's local email server's IP address listed.

I left the default configuration on the spamd settings tab.

I am having excellent luck with this package running on a pair of firewalls using CARP. I manually replicated my settings on both boxes, and it successfully works during failover (although the settings and spam database don't replicate -- but that's a given with most of the add-on packages).

I believe that you may be experiencing problems because you don't have your local email server white listed.

Vaughn Reid III

Michel Servaes wrote:
Hi,

I just tried to install spamd today, but it seems to block all my messages.
I've waited 25 minutes, and still no mail arrives.

I also tried to add some blacklist servers from the openbsd/spamd page, but it seems not to really work.

It just kept three entries in the greylist, and nothing else passed into that list, nor anything went through the mailserver I entered as next MTA.

When I telnetted into the SMTP port on my WAN side (from another location obviously), the SMTP HELO string came very slowly (but changing the value to '0' for the delay didn't make it faster).

Where can I find good info on how to configure it basic... from that point I could maybe tweak a little, but a basic guideline would be great to start with.

Kind regards,
Michel