> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:07:04 +0200
> To: support@pfsense.com
> Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Virtualizing pfSense
>

> Am 15.05.2008 um 20:55 schrieb Sean Cavanaugh:
>

> > for the record, VMWare tools is included in the ports collection
>

> Well, the port uses the stuff from the mounted iso-image ;-)
> You can't download them separately, AFAIK.

like i said, the ISOs are part of VMWare Server

> > and they dont really do anything beyond provide a clock sync
> > between the virtual image and the host PC
>
> That's not completely true, IIRC.
> AFAIK, the tools are also helping with memory management (on ESX at
> least, maybe Server 2.0 gained something here on Server 1.0)

Linux had the memory management as part of its tools package, not BSD. from
what ive seen, the only things VMWare-tools did was assist with clock sync,
enable better driver for X and enable copy/paste between the image and
host/other images. Timer issues can be lessened (never resolved, even with
VMware tools)
by reducing kern.hz to something like 50 or 100 Hz (in loader.conf), and
installing ntpd. and Xorg has a vmware driver in it now. still no copy paste or
mouse focus at all.