From: Chris Buechler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:30 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] pfSense 1.2-RELEASE: Performance Issue?

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Ted Crow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As an additional note, I've already tried the following to no avail:
>
> - tcp/udp tweaking (no change)

Shouldn't be necessary anyway. Most of those settings are only
relevant when the firewall is the endpoint of the connection.

> - duplex mismatch testing (no problems)

No errors on Status -> Interfaces? What speed and duplex is the WAN
port showing as?  In my experience with metro Ethernet, the endpoints
are set inconsistently by providers (at least by AT&T). Some are
forced speed/duplex and some are set to auto. In the former case
you'll need to force your end, in the latter, leave it to auto.

>  what I can see.
> - the DMZ speed is 40-60Mbps to the Internet and 50-60Mbps to the LAN.

How are you testing? I've pushed more than that through a 500 MHz box,
something of the spec you're running with Intel NICs is capable of
multi-Gbps. Since it's slow from DMZ to LAN it's likely not WAN port
related.

Since you're running relatively new hardware, the first thing I'd
recommend is trying 1.2.1. The NICs you have in a box that new
probably didn't exist at the time the em driver in FreeBSD 6.2 was
written, so you may be hitting some glitch there. Ditto for any number
of other components in that box.