From: "Chris Buechler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:12 PM
To: <support@pfsense.com>
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] cannot update firmware

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Sean Cavanaugh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a 1.2-RELEASE setup that runs perfectly fine. I wanted to install
1.2.1 on it to try it out
but I cannot get the system to upgrade the firmware at all. Thru the web
interface i get the usual
hoops about the file not being digitally signed but it takes it and goes on
its merry way of processing it.
I even get the pages all saying "An upgrade is currently in progress. The
firewall will reboot when the operation is complete."

It will just sit there and never do anything more. I have also tried using
the upgrade thru the console which
gets me the following before dumping back to the main menu screen

Broadcast Message from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        (/dev/ttyp0) at 6:01 EDT...

Beginning pfSense upgrade.

/etc/rc.firmware: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
/etc/rc.firmware: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
/etc/rc.firmware: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

further testing shows that this happens no matter what firmware i give it,
even tried 1.2-RELEASE again

A Google of that site:pfsense.org brings back nothing so it's
apparently something no one has seen before.

That makes it sound like too many processes are running which is a bit
strange. Try rebooting it then upgrading.

it looks like I just had a random group of addons that together caused that problem. I ended up having to reinstall 1.2-RELEASE and now the firmware upgrades work perfectly fine. For future reference, just uninstalling all the addons and rebooting didn't clear out the glitch that was causing it.
now I'm off to try/abuse 1.2.1.

-Sean