Am 15.08.2008 um 00:39 schrieb Aliet Santiesteban Sifontes:

Hi all, I'm currently migrating an existing Sun Netra T1 100 box
running Solaris 8 and Checkpoint Firewall 1, wich has run for 9 years,
to a PFSense, on a HP Proliant ML350 G4 server with 2 GB Ram, a Xeon
Dual Core at 3GHz bus 800 MHz, three attached network, one at 1 GBps,
and 2 at 100 MBps, it would help to me first, to know if somebody has
tested pfsense on highs loads, right now the sun box is running 150000
concurrent connections and the hardware is at top, we are forced to
switch since checkpoint crash on new edns packages, and this platform
is not supporting this loads anymore, so my question is the best way
to tune pfsense on the new hard, I mean the Proliant, to allow 300000
or maybe 500000 concurrent connections, this setup also has many
firewall rules, I have read some docs on tunning freebsd at the
pfsense site, but I have also see some posts about a need to rebuild
the kernel to allow this, it wouldd be very nice if somebody can give
me some tips or lights about this.
Thank you all...
Best regards, Aliet

I think, 500k connections are quite possible (from anecdotal evidence posted to this list). They will cost about 500 MB RAM.
It's also a question of how many packets per second you want to route.

Also, from what I remember, the pfSense kernel already contains every possible optimization (and even some that are not available in stock FreeBSD6/7).

Also of relevance:
What kind of bus do the NICs hang on: PCI or PCI-X? Do they all hang on the same bus (some better motherboards have multiple independent PCI(X/e) busses, which vastly improves the total real throughput. Other than that, I'd say our setup is pretty decent - though late Opterons or Harperton Xeons with 12 MB cache would be even better.
But one can't have everything ;-)

Rainer