Agreed!

All switch/FW/routers have the ability/feature in
either CLI or GUI, so I guess that I was just
wondering why it wasn't part of pfS.

I agree on most point you make and there are
"those" out there that have and will continue to
bungle connectivity with setting S/D incorrectly,
but why not make it available (wo/ editing the
XML) for those of us that know how and when to use
it?

Every single Cisco, Juniper, Foundry engineer I
know (or I've taken advanced seminars from) has
stringently recommended the use of static S/D
settings on edge routers and core switching.
Given that I did some asking around and googling
and it seems that Cisco at least has changed their
view in recent years on their S/D philosophy ....

==SNIP==
Recommended Port Configuration (Autonegotiation or
Manual Configuration)

There are many opinions on the subject of
autonegotiation. Previously, many engineers
advised customers not to use autonegotiation with
any switch-connected device. However, improvements
in the interoperation of autonegotiation and the
maturity of the technology has recently changed
the view of autonegotiation and its use. In
addition, performance issues due to duplex
mismatches, caused by the manual setting of speed
and duplex on only one link partner, are more
common. Because of these recent issues, the use of
autonegotiation is regarded as a valid practice.

==SNIP==
Source ->
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af0.shtml

I totally understand that it presents many, many
threads of list chatter when it comes to bite
someone who doesn't understand the ramifications
of the settings, but none the less, I feel it is a
valuable configuration setting for the great
"enterprise ready" product you've all put forth,
and for those among us that use this setup and
know it!!!!

IMHO .. as always!