On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Olivier Nicole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Dimitri,
>
> Thanks for the clues, i will look at what i can do with the switch.
>
>> Is there a particular reason you are trying to do a captive portal using a
>> bridge setup vs NAT?
>
> We have the right amount of public IP available (only a class C, but
> for around 150 users, that's plenty enough), so no reason to NAT.
>
> I have been running a bridged firewall (FreeBSD + ipf) for ages (since
> FreeBSD 4.0 maybe), it is working smoothly, it is invisible (obscurity
> is not security, but it contributes to security), it simplifies
> routing (one less hop) and in case of problem, it can be replaced with
> an Ethernet cable. That's among the reasons why I like bridged
> firewall.

All valid, but a captive portal implementation by definition cannot be
transparent. It has to redirect hosts to an IP on one of its
interfaces to serve the portal content.

I'd just use a /30 on the WAN, and your public IP block on the LAN,
disable NAT, enable captive portal, and you're set.

You can still have the "remove the firewall" option by adding your LAN
IP on the upstream router if necessary, and removing the firewall.