From: Bill Marquette [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 Dec 2008 12:33 AM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Monitor IP address

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Chris Buechler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Mike Lever <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> I have 5 WAN ports. The load balancer will constantly ping WAN1,
WAN2,WAN3,
>> WAN4 & WAN5 simultaneously. Depending on which has the quickest response
and
>> is not currently transmitting packets, it will utilise.
>
> What Bill said is correct. One additional comment, the above isn't
> true. Your load balancing is round robin, all connections in a pool
> are used equally. If the monitor IP for a specific gateway stops

This is an important point to note.  Monitoring is for the purposes of
availability, not for latency detection.  The WANs are load balanced
from a connection perspective, not from a throughput or latency
perspective.  If you have a single flow eating up an entire
connection, nothing will stop other flows from using that connection.
The load balancing is on a flow by flow basis in a round robin
fashion.