Is there anyone here who is actually using Zabbix in production and monitoring FreeBSD boxes with it? I know it looks like a shiny toy, but I'm telling you that the reality is far less. The monitoring is limited at best for linux, and almost completely unusable without major customization for FreeBSD. I agree that having a nice centralized monitoring system to use with pfSense would be nice, but our extensive experience evaluating Zabbix led us to the conclusion that it's not ready for prime time.
Tim Nelson wrote:
Part of the intrigue for me was a nice consolidated interface for everything. With Nagios, you still really need Cacti to make it fully functional. Plus, the zabbix-agent allows for an even wider scope of monitoring versus plain old network/ping/snmp checks. I've tried the Nagios/Cacti route and just didn't like it.

----- "Curtis LaMasters" wrote:
> Just curious, what does Zabbix do that Nagios does not?

Curtis LaMasters
> http://www.curtis-lamasters.com
> http://www.builtnetworks.com

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Nathan Eisenberg <nat...@atlasnetworks.us <mailto:nat...@atlasnetworks.us>> wrote:

    Tim,

    > Zabbix does support SNMP checks and TCP/IP via zabbix-server
    originated pings and port checks.