The captive portal has the following option:
"MAC filtering - Disable MAC filtering
If this option is set, no attempts will be made to ensure that the MAC
address of clients stays the same while they're logged in. This is
required when the MAC address of the client cannot be determined (usually
because there are routers between pfSense and the clients). If this is
enabled, RADIUS MAC authentication cannot be used."

This sounds useful. It could fix the difficulty we have of requiring LAN
users, who want to add wifi in their home, that they need to use wireless
access points, not wireless routers (or wireless routers configured as
purely wireless access points, for those that support this), so that they
don't ruin our charging model. People find the technical differences hard
to understand.

So, how does pfSense track people with this option enabled? How does it work?

--
Pete Boyd

Open Plan IT - http://openplanit.co.uk
The Golden Ear - http://thegoldenear.org