On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Pete Boyd <petes-li...@thegoldenear.org> wrote:
> The captive portal has the following option:
> "MAC filtering - Disable MAC filtering
> If this option is set, no attempts will be made to ensure that the MAC
> address of clients stays the same while they're logged in. This is
> required when the MAC address of the client cannot be determined (usually
> because there are routers between pfSense and the clients). If this is
> enabled, RADIUS MAC authentication cannot be used."
>
> This sounds useful. It could fix the difficulty we have of requiring LAN
> users, who want to add wifi in their home, that they need to use wireless
> access points, not wireless routers (or wireless routers configured as
> purely wireless access points, for those that support this), so that they
> don't ruin our charging model. People find the technical differences hard
> to understand.

It's simple to bridge wireless on almost every wireless router, just
plug in one of the LAN ports rather than the WAN/Internet port. Double
NAT is ugly and potentially problematic, so I would stay away from it
if at all possible. Disabling MAC filtering will work around it if you
really must do it that way.

> So, how does pfSense track people with this option enabled? How does it work?

As it says in what you quoted above, just by IP rather than by IP and MAC.