Hi again,

So I did replace the server, I have an IBM x336 now instead of the x335. The
NIC is the identical, but not the same.
First of all, Chris, you were absolutely right - it was some sort of a
glitch with the hardware compatibility, as with this server I'm seeing a
completely different behavior. I started seeing interrupt taking some of the
CPU(not too much though - about 8-10% when loaded), and I don't see an emX
taskq at all now.
But the thing is - the problem is still there - I had a relatively high load
this weekend (15kpps is my high load, remember?) and once again I got some
packet loss and a slow response time from the website.

Couple of things I noticed though:
When it happened, the quality RRD graph showed about 35-40ms spike (from the
usual 1-2). It was that time that I checked the "Disable Hardware Checksum
Offloading" option and it was back to normal within seconds. But I saw it
climb few other times afterwords... So maybe it was just a coincidence.
Also, if I check the interface status when there is normal traffic - there
are no errors(well, no more additional errors), but the minute the load hits
- I start seeing the counters climbing up. On both interfaces, but only on
the "In", the out is "0".

And one last thing, I was thinking about maybe enforcing the negotiation
through the config.xml. So I went through it and I saw this:
<wan>
            <if>em0</if>
            <mtu/>
            <media/>
            <mediaopt/>
            <bandwidth>100</bandwidth>
            <bandwidthtype>Mb</bandwidthtype>
            <spoofmac/>
            <disableftpproxy/>
            <ipaddr>X.X.X.X</ipaddr>
            <subnet>28</subnet>
            <gateway>Y.Y.Y.Y</gateway>
        </wan>
        <opt1>
            <if>em1</if>
            <descr>OPTICAL</descr>
            <bridge/>
            <enable/>
            <ipaddr>Z.Z.Z.Z</ipaddr>
            <subnet>29</subnet>
            <gateway/>
            <spoofmac/>
            <mtu/>
        </opt1>

Is this normal, I mean regarding the 100Mb bandwidth? I have everything set
to autonegotiation and the interface status shows:
Media 1000baseTX <full-duplex>  on both, so I assume I shouldn't touch it.
But the 100Mb confuses me.
Anyhow, this x336 server is a loaner and I have to return it or buy it
within a day or two, so if you have any thoughts at all, please.

Thanks,
Lenny.