Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Chris Flugstad <ch...@cascadelink.com> wrote:
>> Also forgot to note, that most phones will register on port 5060.  This
>> however behind a NAT wont work if you have more than 1 phone.  You will have
>> to statically configure the port different on each port OR someone phone
>> will have a "random" port selection OR sometimes you can select 5061 and it
>> will pick a random port.
>
> Or this is what the siproxd package is for, to be able to track
> connections on SIP where you can't rewrite the source port. That's
> almost always, but evidently there are some scenarios where that works
> fine, given the report of the initiator of this thread.

Indeed, I've found that you simply can't get multiple SIP devices behind
a simple-minded NAT box without hacking their advanced configuration to
run on different ports. Snag is some devices, e.g. Siemens S685IP dect
voip+pbx phone, don't reliably allow fine-grained control of SIP settings.

In the end I set up a small linux firewall with siproxd and then I
was able to use a whole mix of Linksys PAP2T/SPA2002 and Siemens S685IP
without issue. Set them up on a dedicated voice VLAN, add traffic
prioritisation rules on the firewall and it works pretty well even over
a domestic but good quality ADSL service.