From: Tim A. [mailto:pfse...@lists.goldenpath.org]
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:11 AM
To: coret...@pfsense.org
Cc: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Patch: DHCP Boot Server Options (Option 66
TFTP Boot Server).

I apologize. It's my error. The colons here aren't for PHP, but for
dhcpd.conf .... duh.
My original patch was in error. It is corrected herein and the previous
"correction" removed.

Tim A. wrote:

I had never successfully used the pfsense boot server option previously, had
anyone else?
I just noticed a typo in a the existing line that appends the filename to
the next-server options to be written.
I don't think it would have worked properly.
Attached is my previous patch now also including a correction for that error
as well.

Tim A. wrote:

DHCP Boot Server Options in pfsense are currently implemented only via the
next-server option method, requiring the server IP and boot file. This works
great... if you only have one device to netboot. Or if you have a complex
dhcpd.conf serving different images according to the requesting MAC. But
that's not an option on pfsense and doesn't make sense anyway.

Most commonly these days, DHCP Boot Server Options are used for IP
Phones--to deliver their config files and update firmware. Most IP phone
systems these days that I've seen (currently using Shoretel) prefer the
option 66 method, only requiring the server IP. The boot server (phone
system) then determines what files to serve based on the requesting MAC.
Its much easier to administer boot images on the boot server (phone system)
than via DHCP. And makes more sense.

I originally made these modifications to a pfsense router at a remote site
of ours to address this issue for their phones--which were not getting their
expected firmware updates.
I thought I ought to share the mod with you all.

Its very minor.
It only adds boot-server option 66 method if you leave out the file image,
and changes text in the GUI indicating as much.

  _____