2009/7/21 Jeppe Øland <jol...@gmail.com>:
>>> Request: It would be really nice if pfsense could limit the
>>> connection-rate
>>> *per IP*.
>> IIRC it is possible to set this per source-IP ;-)
>
> Maybe I missed an option then?
> How do you configure it?

This is configured through the Advanced options in each Filter-Rule.
Ich you set 5 Connection see attached picture ;-)

>> Why leave you ssh service exposed to the world?   Lock it down to a range
>> of ip's
>> (or subnet of your isp), or if you don't have static ip's try setting up
>> openvpn
>> IMO its best to expose as little as possible.
>
> Sometimes you have to expose it.
> I can't install OpenVPN on all PCs that I might need access to servers from,
> and on mergency cellphone access to the servers it just might not be
> possible.
> Best compromise I've found so far has been to require certificates to log in
> to the SSH server.
> Hammering doesn't stop, but the risk of compromising the server is massively
> reduced.
> And with lockdown after X connection attempts in Y seconds, the risk is all
> but gone.
> (For the vast majority of servers at least ... maybe not if you run a bank
> or some such)
> Regards,
> -Jeppe

Yes, only using SSH-Keys is an very good option, but not useful if you
are on the Way
or you have your keys not by hand..... ;-)

regards

michael

--
= = =  m  i  c  h  a  e  l  -  s  c  h  u  h  .  n  e  t  = = =
Projektmanagement - IT-Consulting - Professional Services IT

= = =  Ust-ID:  DE251072318  = = =