>>> IIRC it is possible to set this per source-IP ;-)
>> Maybe I missed an option then?
>> How do you configure it?
> This is configured through the Advanced options in each Filter-Rule.
> Ich you set 5 Connection see attached picture ;-)

The way I read these options are:

* Simultaneous client connection limit
The number of simultaneous connections each client can have.

* Maximum new connections / per second
Global maximum connection limits.

The first option will limit how many concurrent SSH sessions I can run from
any one IP.
The second option will limit how many connections can be attempted per
interval.

As far as I know, setting a client connection limit will *not* prevent the
connection/time limit from killing you in case somebody starts hammering the
server.

Am I not reading these options right?
(Some documentation would be nice too *G*)

> Yes, only using SSH-Keys is an very good option, but not useful if you
> are on the Way or you have your keys not by hand..... ;-)

Indeed everything is a compromise.

Changing the port also has issues since some admins won't allow all ports
outbound (of course they might not allow SSH out either).

Regards,
-Jeppe