----- "Curtis LaMasters" <curtislamast...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Tim Nelson<tnel...@rockbochs.com>
> wrote:
> > Greetings all-
> >
> > I have a situation where I need to have firewall rules for a
> particular host that has a dynamic IP address(PPPoE ADSL).
> Unfortunately, getting a static IP is cost prohibitive at this point.
> When there is a power outage or after x number of days, the IP address
> changes on the connection. My thought was to write a script that would
> automagically check for the public IP, and if it is changed, then
> update the firewall rule using curl to submit the form and then reload
> the rules. Is there a better way to do this or any unforseen caveats
> to doing it the way I described?
> >
> > Tim Nelson
> > Systems/Network Support
> > Rockbochs Inc.
> > (218)727-4332 x105

> Unless I am not understanding this, if you were to just put WAN
> Address as the rule destination instead of specifying the actual IP,
> it would fix the issue.  Right?
>
> Curtis LaMasters
> http://www.curtis-lamasters.com
> http://www.builtnetworks.com

In my pre-lunch haze of hunger, I probably wasn't as clear as I should have
been. :-)

The box running pfSense by default denies all traffic to it's protected hosts.
However, I want to allow traffic from a specific host that has a dynamic IP to
the protected hosts behind the pfSense box. Since this IP changes on occasion,
I need a way to update the firewall rules with the new IP so it will have
proper unrestricted access.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.