Chris Bagnall wrote:
We've been using Alix boards (2C1 initially, now 2D1 - 400Mhz Geode, 128MB RAM)
for a few years with pfSense.

One of our clients, whose network is normally about 50 users, is running an
event this weekend which will see the number of connected devices rise to about
300.

Does anyone have any experience as to whether the little Alix system will
handle that number of users? The router is only doing fairly basic functions -
DHCP, DNS and a small number of routing rules (no WLAN, no traffic shaping,
etc.).
You could have a spare P4 ready loaded with Pfsense ready to rock with a backup of the config from the Alix box. If it gets too much for the Alix it'll takes 5 mins to swap it over....