Chris Buechler wrote:
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Jim Pingle <li...@pingle.org> wrote:
Chris Buechler wrote:
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Curtis LaMasters
<curtislamast...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've searched around and read about others with this issue.  Basically
I have 5 different Vista laptops that cannot get a DHCP address unless
I modify the registry and disable a broadcast setting.  Does anybody
have a solution to this that would prevent me from having to touch
each workstation?
If you can find a solution for ISC dhcpd we'd implement it. I'm not
sure exactly how that ends up set on some Vista systems but not
others.
My repair bench segment is also behind pfSense, and it has seen hundreds
of different machines of all makes and models, many of them using Vista,
and I've not had one yet that couldn't pull an IP address from DHCP on
pfSense. It's always Just Worked(tm)

Could this be induced by the switch, perhaps?

It's the DHCP broadcast flag that causes problems.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

I'm not sure why it's inconsistent. I suspect some PC manufacturers
probably changed that default to avoid support headaches.

Windows 7 switched it back to "off" by default so obviously MS
realized what a wreck that one was in Vista (one of a long list).
I have also had this problem with Vista clients and pfSense DHCP. I have seen it first hand, my XP laptop will grab it while the Vista won't on the same exact connection. Generally i tell my customer that it's not our problem and Vista is broken. Call Microsoft and explain that Windows XP can get online and Vista can't. I also tell my customers to run windows update and make sure the system is patched up.

In one situation we had a HP procurve switch installed. We had tons of complaints that vista would not work but XP would. We replaced it with a Cisco 2950 and the complaints stopped. I have no idea why that would cause it to work. I have just come to believe Vista is on par with Windows ME for the worst OS ever.

I've heard nothing but good things from windows 7 so far. I really hope Microsoft got it together this time.

Adam