On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Jim Pingle <li...@pingle.org> wrote:
> Chris Buechler wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Curtis LaMasters
>> <curtislamast...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've searched around and read about others with this issue.  Basically
>>> I have 5 different Vista laptops that cannot get a DHCP address unless
>>> I modify the registry and disable a broadcast setting.  Does anybody
>>> have a solution to this that would prevent me from having to touch
>>> each workstation?
>>
>> If you can find a solution for ISC dhcpd we'd implement it. I'm not
>> sure exactly how that ends up set on some Vista systems but not
>> others.
>
> My repair bench segment is also behind pfSense, and it has seen hundreds
> of different machines of all makes and models, many of them using Vista,
> and I've not had one yet that couldn't pull an IP address from DHCP on
> pfSense. It's always Just Worked(tm)
>
> Could this be induced by the switch, perhaps?

I've had it happen first hand... it's a pain in the *ss!!!
Sometimes an elevated CMD prompt - ipconfig /release /renew  works
But I'd say it's about an 45% success rate.
Next step is to disable/renew the adapter - that brings it to about a 65%
success rate.

This is after following the broadcast regedits - turning off IP6, etc on
this machine btw.

The good news is that it only happens about once a month, but when it does
- man it's annoying.

I do run procurve switches on my network - by dhcp server is a windows 2003
server.  (pfSense being the gateway though)
If anyone else finds a permanent solution - shout it out - because I've yet
to find one.
(My only "permanent" solution so far - was to upgrade to the RTM of win7)
-Tim