Evgeny Yurchenko wrote:

Lenny wrote:
Hi,

I'm the same guy that had that long thread about not being able to push more than 15kpps.
Well, this is sort of a report + some additional questions.
Anyway, eventually we purchased an IBM x3550 server with 2 Quad Core CPUs (5230 I think).

Now I can push 310Mb, which is about 70kpps(my average packet size grew a little bit since then and I believe it's now about 600).
Lenny.
Hi Lenny!
I can not give you any advice but would like to share my results with HP DL360 G4 box which has two dual-core Intels 3.4.GHz running *1.2.3-RC2* built on Mon Aug 31 06:09:28 UTC 2009. It was not built for performance and has only two Broadcom NICs on motherboard. One NIC is LAN, another one is tagged with 20 VLANs though usually only one-two (max three) vlans are pushing traffic really hard simultaneously. Traffic goes up to 450Mb/s with 38kpps and CPU load is 25% during these peaks. I suspect that it is when 1CPU (core) is loaded 100% and another 3 are idling. Is this the case for you as well with 100% one CPU load and 7 others idling? Your system is much newer then mine and everybody says that Intel NICs are better than Broadcom so I would expect better performance.
Your results for real traffic or you were performing tests?
What kind of traffic are you pushing? I've noticed that Intel NICs deal much better with TCP than with UDP in terms of CPU usage (it can be explained only by performing some TCP functions by NIC).
Please keep us posted!

Evgeny.

Hi Evgeny,

You are right about the CPU load - it is exactly what's happening, only I have 2 Cores out of 8 reaching 100%(one for each interface). My traffic is production TCP, it's a website, with mostly pictures and flash files(advertisement).

But I would really like to ask again, as this is very important: will replacing the PCI-X NIC with PCI-e one give some boost in performance?

Lenny.