Somehow I cannot get magic packets to awaken any PC on a pfSense LAN.  I don't
get it.

Some motherboard BIOS seem to have WOL and others don't. Even the ones I have that are said to have it cannot be awoken as best I can tell! I have tried an Intel GT1000 with WOL functionality. I can get Boot on LAN to work OK, WOL seems a mystery!

It is not clear to me the state that a PC to be awoken in is, I expected that the ATX power supplies would allow the PC to awaken when the right packets are sent however I am wondering if what is needed is a PC in a suspended state - or something else?

Any guidance or links would be appreciated please!