On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Pete Boyd <petes-li...@thegoldenear.org> wrote:

> If this is so, is it the default in Windows XP Pro? because all workstations
> we have that have a WOL setting in the BIOS, successfully do WOL, without us
> changing anything in Windows from a fresh install.

I believe it is driver dependant, although most xp installs I've
looked at have it enabled by default. Most linux installs I've looked
at have it disabled by default.

I think it has to do with whether the OS powers off the NIC completely
when shutting down. For WOL to work, the NIC has to be left in a
powered state after the OS has shut down, hence the driver setting.
And yes, it must also be enabled in the BIOS. This applies to waking
from sleep (S3) as well as off (S5) AFAIK.

db