----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Buechler" <cbuech...@gmail.com>
To: <support@pfsense.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Wake On LAN

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Tortise <tort...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
Somehow I cannot get magic packets to awaken any PC on a pfSense LAN. I
don't get it.

Some motherboard BIOS seem to have WOL and others don't. Even the ones I
have that are said to have it cannot be awoken as best I can tell! I have
tried an Intel GT1000 with WOL functionality. I can get Boot on LAN to work
OK, WOL seems a mystery!

It is not clear to me the state that a PC to be awoken in is, I expected
that the ATX power supplies would allow the PC to awaken when the right
packets are sent however I am wondering if what is needed is a PC in a
suspended state - or something else?

Just need a WOL-enabled NIC, and to have WOL turned on in the BIOS. If
you have an onboard NIC, it should be as simple as enabling it in the
BIOS. As long as the machine is plugged in, it'll wake. With add-in
NICs you need a WOL cable from the NIC to the motherboard, that can
complicate things.

Well I had already done all that.... and it still didn't work, that was using 1.2.3 RC1 embedded. (3 NIC's, one WAN, two LAN) I now wish I had set up a sniffer to see if magic packets were actually going out....

I just upgraded to 1.2.3 and thought I'd fire off a few magic packets for fun....and just as well I was sitting on my chair, the other PC's had fired into life!

Only thing that had really changed was the pfSense version! (That means the motherboard BIOS was already enabled for each on board NIC on the couple of Pentium 3000 class boxes I had tried)

Curious that I couldn't find any updates about this, anyway others might find
it works now?

Thank you for the posters on this topic, it seems it may have proved a useful
thread for some...

In addition to what Chris said above I understand that some NIC's do not need an additional WOL cable for WOL, e.g. Intel 1000GT which are WOL capable and have no cable connection!

I hate having to get some more 512M plus CF cards but accept there are
excellent reasons for this!

Looking forward to checking out some more embedded stuff.

I'd suggested the other half give me the pfsense book for Christmas in the hope I might learn some useful stuff about VLAN's etc, even if I don't learn anything I am pleased the other half is contributing to support pfSense!

Happy Christmas all!