----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Buechler" <cbuech...@gmail.com>
To: <support@pfsense.com>
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Bottleneck for some reason?

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Tortise <tort...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
I had a P 500 III CPU with 1G of RAM and now a P 400II with 756M RAM running
embedded (512M CF) 1.2.3 and three Intel 1000GT's. One WAN, Two LAN. LAN
2 is LAN1 10.a.b+1.c.d. (/24), both performed much the same.

The cable download speed has just been upgraded from 4MBps to 10Mbps however
downloads on pfSense are still limited to 4Mbps, despite several modem power
cycles. A notebook direct connected to the cable modem does indeed get
10Mbps suggesting pfsense is the bottleneck.

The book and http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Hardware_requirements suggest
to me I should be getting 20-40Mbps throughput.

Can anyone suggest how I can investigate from here?

=Traffic shaping enabled?

Yes! OK now disabled, that's doubled it to 8Mbps. As its evening here it might be high traffic cutting it down from 10 to 8, I'll try again during a lower demand time. Thanks Chris. Out of interest wouldn't a larger CPU increase the shapers limits? (there was little difference in the 400 and 500, I would have expected some difference?) Last test from http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/ was 9.5Mbps, so I guess that's the answer. (Looks to read book's traffic shaper section....)