Markus Winkler wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here and would like to ask you something about the use of
pfSense on embedded devices, especially on PC Engines WRAP/ALIX boards.

In the wiki I read that there are a) some functional limitations and b)
a special handling of booting necessary when using WRAP boards (which I
used a long time together with m0n0wall and still have some unused ones).

My question: will I have the same "problems" when using the newer ALIX
boards or does this platform working without the WRAP limitations? If
running on ALIX is possible without these issues then I rather would buy
new boards than using the old WRAPs.

Thanks and kind regards,
Markus

The limitations you're referring to are exclusive to the WRAP. PCEngines ended support for the device and so they haven't released a firmware to support packetmode, which is necessary for the newer versions of pfSense. It can be overcome, but there are distinct limitations to using a WRAP with newer versions of pfSense. Your ALIX boards will work just fine with the newer versions of pfSense. I have several of them and they work perfectly.