From: Karl Fife [mailto:karlf...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:17 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: [pfSense Support] Microsoft Server 2008 & DHCP relay

We have a couple of pfSense installations that want to 'lock down' their
windows workstations with Win 2K8 Server and Active Directory.  As you may
know, normally this requires that Win Server be the DNS & DHCP server.

To clarify, we're NOT talking about MS Small Business Server/exchange and
all of that crap--just 'regular' 2K8, with AD for lockdown/policy etc.

Can anyone say from experience whether it's 'within scope' to keep pfSense
as the DHCP/DNS?  In other words, is it feasible to have 2K8 server turn to
pfSense via something like DHCP relay?  Never played with DHCP relay.

Before sinking money into another server, licenses etc, I'm hoping someone
can at least say "yes, it works, I've tried it--it's solid" so that we don't

find ourselves half-way through realizing the we REALLY DO have to re-tool
perfectly solid & tested parts of our network just because the Microsoft
tentacles want to touch & be in control of everything.  As I see it, I don't

mind if Microsoft 2K8 server runs the "Windows parts" of the network but not

the whole network.

Has anyone actually tried this?  Thanks in advance!

-Karl