On 4/17/2010 2:17 PM, Karl Fife wrote:
> [...]As I see it, I don't mind if Microsoft 2K8 server runs the
> "Windows parts" of the network but not the whole network.
>
> Has anyone actually tried this?  Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried the DHCP parts, but I have set one up for DNS thusly:

Pass the DHCP clients the AD server for DNS -- and ONLY the AD server,
and then on the AD server, in the DNS server setup, setup a single
forwarder: your pfSense box's LAN IP (or whatever interface it's using)

That way your DNS setup in pfSense, including any overrides and such
that you have set, will still be used, and 2k8 is still happily doing
DNS for whatever it needs.

At that site the DHCP was very vanilla so I had no problem letting AD
take that over.

Jim