I have an AMD K6 mobo which requires ACPI to be off, or network
interfaces don't work. (Which I had to find out again a few weeks ago
upgrading to 1.2.3, having to take the box out to connect monitor and
keyboard.) /boot/loader.conf was overwritten by 1.2.3.

Searching for this I found to put
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
into /boot/loader.conf.local, which shouldn't be overwritten by system
upgrades, and it works as expected.

Without a permanent setting like this I can't upgrade pfsense, because
after the automatic reboot at the end of the upgrade the box's
interfaces won't work.

The really good pfsense book says (p. 70) to put this line into
/boot/device.hints, and that this is also not permanent. It does not
mention /boot/device.hints.local, if there is such a thing.

What is the recommended way to turn off acpi permanently with pfsense,
and is there a reason why /boot/loader.conf.local isn't mentioned in
"the book"?

Thanks,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.