On 4/30/2010 10:01 PM, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> I have an AMD K6 mobo which requires ACPI to be off, or network
> interfaces don't work. (Which I had to find out again a few weeks ago
> upgrading to 1.2.3, having to take the box out to connect monitor and
> keyboard.) /boot/loader.conf was overwritten by 1.2.3.

It still does it in 2.0, but iirc in both cases they are overwritten
incorrectly. On 2.0 it overwrites with a blank file, I haven't double
checked an upgraded 1.2.x lately. I just opened a ticket this afternoon
about that.

> Searching for this I found to put
> hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
> into /boot/loader.conf.local, which shouldn't be overwritten by system
> upgrades, and it works as expected.

Not sure that is the case on 2.0, as it also includes an empty
loader.conf.local at least in the base install. I haven't yet tested to
see if it's overwritten.

> Without a permanent setting like this I can't upgrade pfsense, because
> after the automatic reboot at the end of the upgrade the box's
> interfaces won't work.

I'm in the same boat on my home router now since it requires disabling
DMA in loader.conf to function properly (turning it off in the BIOS has
no effect.)

> The really good pfsense book says (p. 70) to put this line into
> /boot/device.hints, and that this is also not permanent. It does not
> mention /boot/device.hints.local, if there is such a thing.

There is no device.hints.local, unfortunately.

> What is the recommended way to turn off acpi permanently with pfsense,
> and is there a reason why /boot/loader.conf.local isn't mentioned in
> "the book"?

It was probably partly oversight, and partly the possibility of it also
being overwritten by future upgrades.

It would be nice if those files would be somehow merged instead of
overwritten, since they are special cases. In 2.0 at least you can set
some sysctl values in the GUI so that's not so bad, but the settings
that must be in device.hints/loader.conf are still tricky to handle.

Jim