In message <8c8f0f7add704cf491998cbe298fb...@dp2000xp> Tortise
<tort...@paradise.net.nz> was claimed to have
wrote:

>Yes I was referring to ARP poisoning and my cable connection experience....
>which is the reason for the random (obscure) LAN subnet
>range selection...

It's worth noting that even if you use an uncommon LAN subnet range
selection internally, anyone in your broadcast domain could easily
observe your ARP packets and find your IP range, so you're not gaining
much security by obscurity here, although you are decreasing the odds
that two random 192.168.0.0/24 networks will cross-talk if you both made
the same configuration error at once.

This assumes the case of a large ancient cable modem network that still
broadcasts ARPs between client side networks on different modems, and
assuming a configuration error directly connects a LAN to the WAN
bypassing the firewall.  In reality it's been a while since this was
that big a deal on cable modem networks (or at least any that I've
touched), around here it's probably been 5+ years since you could see
floods of ARP requests.

I think that the cable modems only transmit ARP requests from WAN to LAN
for MAC addresses already known to exist on the LAN side, so strictly
speaking your cable modem won't pass valid traffic after the modem is
rebooted until the LAN side machine sends at least one packet up to the
modem.  This is a handy side effect of cable modems already needing to
track valid MAC addresses to limit the number of machines connected for
billing purposes.

10/8 is huge, 172.16/12 is a little less widely used and also
significantly large enough that I've never ever personally seen any
remote network overlapping with the /21 that I picked out for myself,
and I VPN into remote client sides regularly, and travel somewhat
frequently.