On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Nathan Eisenberg
<nat...@atlasnetworks.us> wrote:
>>That's poetry.
>
> It might be, if it were true.  I'm not sure that it is, though.
>
> From a distribution layer (/30 for routing to a firewall from a router), I
> can't think of what you'd need to intentionally do to allow bypass of the
> firewall that has anything to do with VLANs.  If I somehow moved the router
> into one of the 'internal' networks, bypassing the firewall, the router would
> have no route to a host, nor would the host have a route to the router.  The
> only exception would be if you're running a L2 bridging firewall, but then I
> don't think the concept of VLANs is even applicable...

You're missing the entire point. If you have one switch, VLAN 2 is
your LAN, and VLAN 3 is your unfiltered Internet, and you put both 2
and 3 untagged on the same port... there ya go. From there the amount
of damage possible and ease of it happening depends on what kind of
Internet connection you have.