We're running Embedded 1.2.3 on Soekris 5501.

We ran into a funny situation last week where ntpd was failing to sync even though the stratum 1 ntp server was reachable, and the OpenNPT service was running. pfSense offset grew by about 2 seconds per day, and our ntp clients were in dutiful lockstep with this drift. Restarting the OpenNTP service didn't seem to trigger a resync, but forcing a sync from the command line did seem eliminate the (eventual) 38 second offset. However, even after the explicit resync, windows clients wouldn't sync, complaining that the time server (pfSense) had not resync'd recently enough. This message persisted even after subsequent "forced resyncs" (resyncs that resulted in <.01 sec offset correction).

Later that evening (after the elves had gone home) I simply rebooted pfSense, and today it all seems to be syncing, and all of our network clocks (appliances) and windows clients seem to be syncing nicely with no complaints. Naturally I went to check the logs, but I was somewhat surprised to see that /var/log/ntpd.log was empty. Is there a different log file I should be checking?

Has anyone else has seen OpenNTPD fail similarly? I've never seen my other pfSense instances drift by more than a few hundred milliseconds. We have some market traders that rely on a very reliable real time clock for market close. I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks!
-Karl