----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Buechler" <cbuech...@gmail.com>
To: <support@pfsense.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] OpenNTP offset & sync

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Karl Fife <karlf...@gmail.com> wrote:
We're running Embedded 1.2.3 on Soekris 5501.

We ran into a funny situation last week where ntpd was failing to sync even
though the stratum 1 ntp server was reachable, and the OpenNPT service was
running. pfSense offset grew by about 2 seconds per day, and our ntp
clients were in dutiful lockstep with this drift. Restarting the OpenNTP
service didn't seem to trigger a resync, but forcing a sync from the command
line did seem eliminate the (eventual) 38 second offset. However, even
after the explicit resync, windows clients wouldn't sync, complaining that
the time server (pfSense) had not resync'd recently enough. This message
persisted even after subsequent "forced resyncs" (resyncs that resulted in
<.01 sec offset correction).

Later that evening (after the elves had gone home) I simply rebooted
pfSense, and today it all seems to be syncing, and all of our network clocks
(appliances) and windows clients seem to be syncing nicely with no
complaints. Naturally I went to check the logs, but I was somewhat
surprised to see that /var/log/ntpd.log was empty. Is there a different log
file I should be checking?

Has anyone else has seen OpenNTPD fail similarly? I've never seen my other
pfSense instances drift by more than a few hundred milliseconds. We have
some market traders that rely on a very reliable real time clock for market
close. I'd appreciate any tips.

While it generally works, openntpd tends to do stupid things at times
and has a number of limitations. We've been discussing alternatives
recently, looks like we'll switch back to the stock ntpd for 2.0. One
time guru FreeBSD developer who is a pfSense user switched his out to
the stock ntpd at his day job, a HFT company, where timing is
extremely crucial. You may want to consider the same, though you'd
have to manually hack it in it's not a whole lot of effort if you know
FreeBSD.
----
Thanks to all for the tips!
I for one would support the move in pfSense v 2.0 to stock ntpd.

For the record, a our OpenNTPD service became similarly wedged just a few months later. We rebooted pfSense a few weeks ago for some hardware maintenance despite its recency, OpenNTPD is wedged at this moment.

Out of curiosity, what was the original rationale for choosing OpenNTPD? In this particular office we can probably just "revert" to running ntpd on our Asterisk server (a similarly "high availability" resource), but if it can run reliably, I would strongly prefer that pfSense function as the local time server.

-K