One thing that jumps out at me is the two ADSL links.  Sounds like you
are making a pretty good effort to "keep the lights on" with some good
choices.  If we were to do dual DSL lines in our area, the copper is
really the same provider for the last mile.  A different provider type
may give you better reliability over what you can't totally control.
In our case we could go to a cable company and get a business DSL
line, the phone company and get fiber, fiber from a totally
independent provider (or two), or even cell/microwave tower backup.
All depends on what is available in your area and as others stated,
the true need of uptime vs. cost.

Also, along the lines of different UPS providers, what about different
hardware manufactures for the boxes or just the hard drives?

Andrew

Andrew,
From reading the PFSense book, I have now gathered that, like you just said, having two ADSL providers is not a good way to go about redundancy. In my case, one ADSL connection is free.. and I'm already in a 2 year contract with the other ADSL provider.

We don't have the luxury of fiber in my area, but cable is, we even have an option for some type of radio and cell. I did kick myself this morning while reading the book when I came to that section. Thank you for pointing it out; it's duly noted and won't be forgotten. I'll chalk it up to newbness. You were very kind in your message pointing it out like you did, not making me feel worse than I already do.

I admit, I've been lucky so far... the problems must have been on the premises of the ISPs when the internet has gone down independently of one-another a week a part recently. I had to manually switch our network over, obviously.

Another funny thing, when our internet is down our credit card machines roll over to using their modems.. which as I understand it doesn't make any difference when the Hungry Backhoe strikes.

As far as the different UPSes, boxes and harddrives... I was really hoping to get one model for each to make it easier on me to manage. . I'm still considering what to do about the hardware, I still want to cheat and buy the same hardware for everything. <..Must Resist..>
I fall in love with specific pieces of hardware way too much.

Thanks for your insights.
-Andy