Hi again,

Op 11 okt 2010, om 20:23 heeft Andy Graybeal het volgende geschreven:

> Andrew,
> From reading the PFSense book, I have now gathered that, like you just said,
> having two ADSL providers is not a good way to go about redundancy.  In my
> case, one ADSL connection is free.. and I'm already in a 2 year contract with
> the other ADSL provider.

Note the different provider part. We have 2 50/50 business fiber connections
from KPN which is the dutch ATT equivalent. Murphy works wonders when their
entire PPPoA infrastructure fell over that took out all their FTTO and Business
DSL. We also have 350 shops with that particular business DSL.

Our only remaining connection at that point was a 6mbit sdsl from a different
provider. Lucky us.

Not so good for the shops where payment traffic halted. Bugger that. Shoot
murhpy.

> We don't have the luxury of fiber in my area, but cable is, we even have an
> option for some type of radio and cell.  I did kick myself this morning while
> reading the book when I came to that section.  Thank you for pointing it out;
> it's duly noted and won't be forgotten.  I'll chalk it up to newbness.  You
> were very kind in your message pointing it out like you did, not making me
> feel worse than I already do.

Cable is fine, our PR office in amsterdam has a 60/6 fiber for the VPN
connection the main office and a 2nd business DSL wan from said provider for
backup.

> I admit, I've been lucky so far... the problems must have been on the
> premises of the ISPs when the internet has gone down independently of
> one-another a week a part recently.  I had to manually switch our network
> over, obviously.

Not so lucky on my part, over the past 2 years they have backhoe'd through our
sdsl (8 years ago) which was fixed in 4 hours. Which happened when we were
getting our first fiber.

Then through out existing fiber last year when laying a empty fiber pipe for a
connection we already had. That was a bit harder to fix when they had to blow 2
kilometers of new fiber from the local PoP. We had to get by on 2 dsl
connections for 2 days. Sucks having just 2mbit of upstream with 250 users and
350 shops.

Then we got bit where their PPPoA service died a horrible death and 150 (then)
shops were offline for almost 3 days. Heavy losses occured over those days.

> Another funny thing, when our internet is down our credit card machines roll
> over to using their modems.. which as I understand it doesn't make any
> difference when the Hungry Backhoe strikes.

We prefer IP traffic for everything, it's easy to bend the laws of physics with
weird NAT shit and pfSense and make it think it's still connected and route it
over wireless.

Or the payment traffic from shops over backup isdn to route it around brain
dead payment traffic firewalls. Going for broke here.

> I fall in love with specific pieces of hardware way too much.

We just buy dells, restoring xml configs is easy enough. Else run from the
livecd instead ;-)

Prepare for anything is my advice, shit will break in new and interesting ways
that will not be covered by your containment.

That said, Good luck!

Seth