I installed the image to the CF card using dd in Linux with 16k block size.  It
fired right up and I was able to configure it over
the serial port.  I would like to resize the slice and growfs if possible.  I
would have installed the 8g image if there was one...
I have done this in Linux many times.  Is this possible with the embedded
version of pfsense?  I haven't done much configuration on
the box so I could image the CF card again if needed.

You probably can resize the partitions using 'gparted' on a Linux machine, but then you have to mess with the BSD disk labels on the first two partitions, and then use 'growfs'. I don't think it's worth it, it'll be a steep learning curve if you have little experience with BSD. The first two partitions are never written to, except during a firmware update, so why grow them?

If you make a backup of your configuration through the GUI (one XML file) you have zero risk of losing anything, just reflash and restore if something breaks.

BTW: try 'fdisk /dev/ad0'. /dev/ufs/pfsense0 refers to the first partition, so it won't have an MBR. /dev/ad0 is the first physical device on my Alix board (same processor, same chipset).