On 12/9/2010 5:49 PM, David Miller wrote:
> How does one configure routes across a VPN connection?
>
> IE, I have a pfsense 2.0beta box with external address 1.2.3.4 connected
> to 10.2.1.0/24 on the inside.  If the box gives out 172.30.40.50 as a
> VPN ppp0 address, how do I tell the client to route 10.2.1.0 traffic
> over the link?
>

> (VPN client gets 172.30.40.50) <-> [internet] <-> 1.2.3.4[pfsense box]
> <-> 10.2.1.0/24
>
> Everything works fine if I do a route add on the client for network
> 10.2.1.0 via the ppp interface, but I'd like that to be automatic.  If
> the book covers this in the VPN chapter I'm just not seeing it.

AFAIK there is no way to make it automatic with PPTP in our GUI. You can
assign yourself a static PPTP IP and then make a .cmd file to add the
route if you want though.

It's in the book. Page 291, section 14.10 PPTP Routing Tricks.

If you use RADIUS auth, you _might_ be able to pass back routes via
RADIUS REPLYATTRs but I have never tried this before. Someone else may
have better input on that aspect.

IMHO everyone should really be using OpenVPN for complex (or any, to be
honest) remote access VPN needs. You can make it do pretty much anything
you want, especially in 2.0.

Jim