On 2/9/2011 9:20 PM, Evgeny Yurchenko wrote:

On 2/9/2011 2:35 PM, e...@tm-k.com wrote:
[snip]
Address Learning enabled on the Switch (default setting):
[snip]
Can you briefly explain what 'address learning' is according to D-Link?

On 11-02-09 04:12 PM, Vaughn L. Reid III wrote:
According to page 15 of the reference manual "address learning" is:

Enable or disable MAC address learning for the selected ports. When Enabled, destination and source MAC addresses are automatically listed in the forwarding table. When address learning is Disabled, MAC addresses must be manually entered into the forwarding table. This is sometimes done for reasons of security or efficiency. See the section on Forwarding/Filtering for information on entering MAC addresses into the forwarding table. The default setting is
Enabled.

One other thing. I need to note that I have dedicated a CARP interface on each Pfsense box connected to each over via a cross-over cable.

Please do not top-post.
So Address Learing should be enabled.
1) do you see one box as stand-by, another one as active in web-interface? 2) connect laptop instead of ISP's cable and run packet capture you should be able to see once a second carp-heartbeat (multicast mac + carp IP in destination field).

If one pfSense shows Active, another one shows Stand-by and on the laptop you see heartbeat from only one (master) pfSense then you did not mess up with carp configuration and vlans on the switch.

Evgeny.

1. All the Master and backup status notifications in the web interface on both PFSense boxes show the correct status
2.  I'll do a packet capture tomorrow and see if the carp-heartbeat shows up

I was unaware that any Carp related traffic passed between any of the interfaces except the one designated as the synchronization interface. I need to double-check the multi-cast configuration on the switch tomorrow also ( I think I have multi-cast enabled on the switch, but need to confirm that).