Op 10-2-2011 4:18, Vaughn L. Reid III schreef:

1. All the Master and backup status notifications in the web interface
on both PFSense boxes show the correct status
2. I'll do a packet capture tomorrow and see if the carp-heartbeat shows up

I was unaware that any Carp related traffic passed between any of the
interfaces except the one designated as the synchronization interface. I
need to double-check the multi-cast configuration on the switch tomorrow
also ( I think I have multi-cast enabled on the switch, but need to
confirm that).

Yes, some switch support multicast filtering, I know from experience with HP switches that it works with the setting on. So I know they have it implemented correctly. This way not all switch ports get the carp traffic unless they participate in the multicast group. This cuts down on broadcast a lot.

I recommend the HP switches, they have never given me any grief as long as I've worked with them. I even have a carp cluster spanning 2 building across the street over a fiber connection. It just works.

If you need a managed switch on a budget I can confirm that the HP Procurve 1810-8G works well. It's web managed, supports vlans and basic traffic counters. It is also fanless.

The smallest I have in use on a carp cluster is a Procurcve 2650 in combination with a 2900-48G. The biggest I have is a 8212zl. Do note that the software in the 1810 differs a lot from the other managed switches.

Regards,

Seth